Thursday, April 21, 2011

Breathing in, breathing out

There have been several life changes for lately. Pretty big ones. I don't want to get into everything that happened, but let's suffice it to say that stress abounds. I have had to implement my own relaxation techniques to keep above water sometimes. I've been doing relaxation exercises with clients and started a relaxation group in my internship. I should have this relaxation thing figured out, right? Sure, if you count knowing and not doing it. Actually doing it, however, is a different story.

I have started to really re-evaluate how I take care of myself starting with how I perceive and deal with stress in my body. I'm starting simply by paying attention to breath. Breathing, it seems obvious to say, is your body's attempt to fuel your body, bring life-sustaining oxygen into your body, and remove poisonous carbon dioxide. Breath can not only keep your body moving, but is also a fairly reliable way to convey emotions. Fast, shallow breaths can convey anxiety. Slow, deep breaths can show a sense of peace and calmness. Being aware of how we breathe may make us aware of emotions and physical sensations that we, as busy modern people, tend to push down and ignore. I've started to take five minutes each day and just breathe.

I encourage anyone reading this to do likewise. Start by sitting in a comfortable position, feet on the floor, shoulders hanging loosely. I usually put on some music and just breathe, concentrating on how it feels to breathe, and trying to pay attention only to my breath or the music. I never try to change how I'm breathing, because I don't want to change how I feel. I simply want to experience the way my body feels and my emotions. By feeling, experiencing, and breathing, I'm able to manage my stress and start to relax.

Sorry for the short post. With Easter travels around the corner, I need to start packing!

No comments:

Post a Comment