Friday, May 25, 2012

A Little Out of my League

This week was really hard in some spots. I had a GPS stolen from my company car, almost killed a few times by people pulling out in front of me, and had a particularly hostile encounter with a client's son. Those weeks happen and I'm admitting that it stressed me out quite a bit. However, I refuse to let that define my week. Here's a story from Tuesday that was a bright spot in my week.

I got a new referral over the weekend and went to go complete the assessment. In case I haven't covered this in a previous post, I'll do a quick review of what I look for in an assessment. I am assessing how I can help a client with my services, so I look for their needs and how I can use my role and their strengths to help them meet that need. I look for social needs [such as isolation or loneliness], emotional distress [anger, depression, anxiety], physical discomfort [pain or agitation], and spiritual concerns [questions of afterlife or suffering]. I can meet these needs through a variety of means on a case-by-case basis.

Okay, back to the story. This woman is in her 60s, which is fairly young, but not unheard of. She is very aware of her situation but is having a difficult time coping. She regularly spoke of wanting to "get better". When I was able to bring up the subject of music, however, her whole demeanor changed. She likes classical music, which is something you don't hear often in northern Iowa. Usually, I get a response of "Lawrence Welk" or "country western" with an occasional "jazz music", all of which I am well stocked. Classical music, though, is something different. We started talking about it and she enjoys not just little guitar etudes, of which I have a few, but she started throwing about composers like Wagner and Vivaldi and operas like La Boheme. Way out of my league as far as playing ability, although I do enjoy listening to them at times. She described the music as having the ability to "make my heart soar" and she loved to sing. She did not study music or perform, but always had a deep seeded love of that style. At the end, she did state that she likes "little swing tunes, too" which gave me something to play for her. She would close her eyes, bob her head around, and smile when I was done and she'd talk about her experiences in music. It was a good session, not in that a lot of emotions were processed, but in a rapport building sense. I feel she really opened up to me, which will be a huge tool in my favor going forward.


With the knowledge I now have of her, I'm planning on trying to provide a CD player and some classical music for her to listen to. To help with her grief, I'm going to try to lead her in some guided imagery, which I'll try to blog about when it happens. That's definitely a topic I'd need another post to do even a hint of justice to. Until then, here's some more reading for you to do. Check out The Mindful Music Therapist to read up on some great music therapy conversations!

No comments:

Post a Comment