Sunday, June 10, 2012

One More Reason

I met with a fairly new client this week. I've never seen him awake, really. He's always been sleeping or unresponsive. He does have several family members who, although they seem to rarely get along, are very loyal to him and are around pretty much constantly. They are the ones who actually requested my visit this week. They connect very well with the music and are able to release their emotions through singing and talking about their father between songs.

When I got there this time, true to tradition, he was sleeping. He had recently been placed on RLC care, which is a designation we give to people who the nurses feel are imminent, or close to being to it. His family hadn't seen him awake for quite some time. He had 2 daughters with him and they began sharing memories, singing with me, and shedding some tears. Although it was hard emotionally, it was actually why I got in hospice care. Then, the coolest part happened. He started to wake up. When I left, he had his eyes open and he said the only thing I've heard him say: "Thank you, buddy. I enjoyed it." It was really touching to me. It meant that: a] he had heard me and b] he used whatever limited energy he had to let me know my visit meant a lot to him.

I think that people have all heard stories of other people who "come to" for a brief moment when it seems they never will. It's something completely different, though, when you're there to experience it. Chalk it up to another great reason I love my job!

No comments:

Post a Comment