Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Story: All the Tulips in Holland

I recently visited a hospice client of mine with an interesting story. The client, who I'll call Bee, has dementia, although she is still able to interact with others. She used to own a flower shop and is very proud to tell people how much money she made with the flower shop, although the dollar amount she made seems to increase with each telling of the story. Bee will always show is done with the session by saying, "Listen here. I tell it to you straight. Here's what I want you to do. I want you to go home and bring your wife some flowers because that will make her feel really good."

In our last session, Bee told this story (paraphrased): Last week I went to Holland. I really liked it there. The people were real nice because I brought them tulip bulbs from my shop and planted them all over the place. People really thought they were beautiful, so they started growing them themselves. That's where all the tulips in Holland came from.

I hope this story brightens your day a little bit, just like the tulips brightened Holland. :)

Sincerely,
Bryan Odeen, MT-BC

2 comments: