Friday, September 2, 2011

Story: Right in the Butt

This week, I have a story. It's by the same patient who stated she planted all the tulips in Holland (http://odeenmusictherapy.blogspot.com/2011/03/story-all-tulips-in-holland.html).

Although she doesn't have dementia as a diagnosis, her memory is poor. She will tell you the same stories from session to session, and sometimes even multiple times a session. She has all the spunk in the world and she'll always point at you and say, "Now, you know me. I ain't lying. I tell it to you straight. If you don't like the truth, get out of the way!" She's also very religious, which makes this story all the more entertaining.

This is the story as I most recently heard it:
Did I ever tell you about the time I met the Pope? I was invited to a banquet in Chicago and the Pope was there. After dinner, the Pope came up to me and we started talking. As we were talking, he started smarting off to me. Now, you know me. I don't take that from anybody. So, I told him he'd better watch his mouth. And you know what he did? He smarted off to me again! So, I kicked him. I kicked him right in the butt. You should have seen the look on his face when I did that! Now, I ain't lying. I tell it to you straight. I don't take smarting off from anybody.

I hope anybody reading this does not take offense to this, or any other stories that I post. In no way am I intending to make fun of the clients I see. I am simply trying to humanize them, and show readers who do not work in hospice, what kind of characters we get. Hospice is not about death, but about life. Death is just a small part of what we work with. Life, such as the life of this particular client, is what gets us hospice workers up in the morning.

Hope you all have a great Labor Day weekend! Make sure you don't smart off to anyone. You never know if you'll get kicked in the butt!

1 comment:

  1. That is hilarious, and I would have lost it right there in the middle of the session (in front of God and man!). She sounds great! Thanks for a wonderful story. :- )

    ReplyDelete