Sunday, September 25, 2011

Fall Memorial Service #1

On Thursday night, I participated in a community memorial service for one of my offices and I just wanted to do a little recap and reflect on it.

I did a few prelude of a few songs. I did "Sand and Water" by Beth Nielsen Chapman and "In My Life" by the Beatles. 



For the service itself, I did a few songs that I wrote. One of them was "I Know", which I posted about in an earlier blog. I prefaced it by talking about how, as hospice workers, we truly care about how the surviving family members cope and that we cared deeply for our patients. I did another original called "Taking You With Me", which is about how people who have died live through our memories of them. They live through thoughts, love, and moments they they've shared.

After the service, a few people came up to me and asked if I had CDs to sell. It meant a lot to me. More than last year, especially. Last year, at this time, I had only been seeing clients for about a month, so didn't have strong relationships with the families yet. This year, however, I recognized a majority of the people who attended as they were families of clients I saw throughout the year. My emotions were also touched more, because when people talked and cried about their loved ones, I knew and could still visualize those people. It was hard to sing, especially "I Know", without crying, but I managed to get through it.

Overall, I thought that there was a lot of good sharing and transitioning at the service. I also enjoyed the chance to reconnect with some of the families that I had grown close to over the last year. I hope that next year, I will be able to still be a part of this great company and helping make the lives of patients and families more special and enriched.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this, Bryan. You do something very special with your life's career and it is inspiring to read about just why you are so passionate about it. Perhaps we can hear some of those originals at Thanksgiving?

    -Kirsten

    ReplyDelete