Saturday, January 14, 2012

Choosing the positive, acknowledging the negative

This week I had two very profound experiences. One was positive and one negative. It made it hard to choose, but the negative can be summed up pretty succinctly. Dementia is a terrible disease that robs people of their personalities and humanity. A once very lovely and charming woman, who was once a patient and then was discharged, was readmitted with a dementia diagnosis and now she is a completely different person. It made me quite sad.

However easy it is to focus on the negative, it is imperative that, in hospice care, you acknowledge, but do not obsess, the bad things in life. It is much more rewarding to look for the positive, but it has to be a choice. This leads me to my next experience, just a few days later. I was called in to do a visit for a patient who was actively dying and had loved music her whole life. When I started walking to her room, I found the family in the dining area talking with the hospice nurse and she introduced me to the family. They were very nice, obviously very loving, and mentioned how much the patient loved music, even the great grandchildren who were present. I invited them to join me for a music therapy session if they wanted and they quickly joined me.

Now, here is where I should point out that music therapy sessions with imminent patients and their families are the most rewarding experiences in my experience, but they can be tricky to get into. I played a few songs that the patient received comfort from in previous sessions and everybody listened intently, but there was no sharing, no community in the room. I decided to try something else. I asked the great grandkids if they wanted to sing a few songs for the patient. Their faces, especially the little boy's, lit right up and they requested "Go Tell it on the Mountain" and "Jesus Loves Me." That resulted in a veritable deluge of reminiscing and laughing. It was really incredible to witness. No body sang with me when I sang, but between songs, the gathering talked about the patient and her influence on a great number of people. The music supported the conversation and the conversation influenced the music. It was a great sharing of love and I was honored to be a part of it.

These little "mountaintop" experiences are what we, as hospice workers, music therapists, and people in general, need to cherish and focus on. The negative is there. It will always be there. But if you look deep enough, the positive will be there too.

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't have the courage to do your work. Very rewarding to provide someone something so meaningful at such a vulnerable time for both her and her family. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete