Monday, January 30, 2012

Story - "He Came Through Like Gangbusters"

It seems that my blog, lately, has become mainly a collection of stories from my work. I never really intended it to become so, but I don't think I mind it. I guess sometimes the best way to illustrate what I do is to see [or in this case, read] it in action. I hope that these stories do not sound vain, as I am truly not meaning to boast in myself, but to give a brief glimpse into the world of music therapy and hospice.

That being said, this story happened in my internship at CarePartners Hospice in Asheville, NC. My wife and I still miss it there and we hope to visit again soon, but no real plans. The client I was visiting was named Helen. She was fairly young by hospice standards, only in her early sixties. She and her husband were always welcoming to me, although, if I am going to be honest, they really intimidated me at first. Until that point, I could pretty much assume that the people I visited would want to hear either hymns, country, or Lawrence Welk-style tunes. Helen and her husband, however, loved music from the 60's and 70's. Learning Jim Croce, Chicago, Bob Dylan, and Pete Seeger was fun, but much different than what I had been playing. I slowly started adding them into my repertoire.


Although every session was pretty good, I vividly remember one session in particular. Helen's husband was not there, although he usually was, and I was enjoying talking with Helen. I steered the conversation to her husband, intending to get her to talk about him and process her anticipatory grief. She felt as though she was leaving him. In a segue, I played "Time in a Bottle" by Jim Croce and she broke down crying. If this were to happen now, I would feel comfortable confronting it a little more efficiently, but at that time, I was not. I finished the song and we both just sat there, staring at the floor. After what seemed like several minutes, she broke the silence. She explained that "Time in a Bottle" made her think of her husband and she began to explain her emotions. For several years, she said, she wondered whether or not she had made right decision to be with him. Just as she began to regret her decision, she was diagnosed with cancer. Helen said, through tears, that "he came through like gangbusters for me." She knew, after that event, that she had, indeed, made the absolute perfect decision. 


About a week or two later, Helen had a pretty fast decline and was declared "imminent" by her nurse, which means that the rest of her life could most likely be counted in hours, not days. I visited her and it was hard. She was once very full of life, but now she was unresponsive. Her husband, as well as her daughter, were there by her side, and agreed to let me sing for her. I hesitated before leafing past Jim Croce and decided to go for it. I told Helen's husband of our conversation earlier and how much his being there meant to her. As I started to play the song, everyone in the room [myself included], began to cry. We were all going to miss Helen very much. I finished my session and left. She died an hour later.


I guess this still is a strong memory for me, because I'm on the verge of tears again while I recount this story. Tears are not always a bad thing, despite what our culture may say about them. They are not weakness, they are not evil. They are natural, as natural as the love any one person can have for another. They are an outpouring of emotions that cannot be expressed in words, although music may come close. Tears are one way that I know what I do really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment