Friday, March 23, 2012

Play One More

I have an incredible job and have such a unique opportunity to help people. Oftentimes, I get the chance to help people, but they don't realize that I'm helping them. This week, I got a referral for a hospice patient who has a history of refusing visitors and sending people out who actually get in to see her. She lives at home, so you can assume that she's pretty feisty. Obviously, I felt a little trepidation about going there.

She lives pretty out of the way and I had tried to to contact the daughters who help her out to schedule a session, but was unable to get a hold of them. I decided to just stop by and actually found her while she was awake and both daughters were there. Still, it was not certain that she'd let me visit or let me stay. I cautiously said, "I came to see if you'd like some music today." She shrugged her shoulders as if to say, "I don't care." The most important thing on her mind was getting her blood pressure medications and I was just someone in the room. I began playing some music, country music that she enjoyed listening and dancing to, and I could see her demeanor change. She began making eye contact with me, tapping her toes, and eventually I could see that she would let me stay. We switched to a few hymns when she looked at me and said, "How Great Thou Art." I began playing that and she even sang along. I played a few more hymns and, as I was packing up, she said, "Play one more." I looked at her, aghast, I'm sure, and said, "Sure! I can play one more." We sang "How Great Thou Art" again and, as I left, she shook my hand and gave me a big smile.

It was really neat to see how music was able to connect us. She has such a hard time connecting with a lot of other people, but when we shared music together, she connected immediately. Music, especially when people are singing together, seems to create very strong social bonds and may not be achieved without music. I invite you to think of, and share, a time when music formed friendships between you and someone you had never met before. I know I have plenty of instances, but I would like to hear yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment