Friday, March 2, 2012

Thoughts on Funeral Music

I had the pleasure of meeting a new client this week. I'm an introvert by nature and usually do best when I work with people who are outgoing. Probably a majority of the time, however, people expect me to "entertain" and that requires some level of outgoing-ness. I have been learning to be better at pretending to be an extrovert, but my strength is still being introverted. This Monday I met a lady, who I would not call extroverted, but perhaps she and I managed to find a balance. As we were getting to know each other, she mentioned that she knew she was not doing well, because her daughter had asked her, "Are you ready to go to Heaven?" Although I do not think that she will die within the next month or so, it is a valid question. She discussed how she felt about this question, which lent itself well to a segue into funeral planning. She mentioned that she had a few things planned, but not the music. We talked about it, and next time I visit, in the next week or so, I'll bring her a few songs that she thought she might enjoy as funeral songs. One she thought of is "There is a Green Hill Far Away", which I posted below.


It is interesting to think about how you may want people to remember you by. I can rarely recall the homily at a memorial service, but I can usually remember the songs for a while longer. Because music has such an emotional effect, people generally will remember and recall that. So many times, I've heard people say, after hearing a hymn, "That was played at my mother's [father's, sister's, etc] funeral." The music you choose can really be remembered.

I've thought of this often as I have grown. Call it morbid, but that is something I've thought about it. At one point, I wanted "Alive" by P.O.D. [perhaps, ironically]. Now, I really have no solid ideas, but the styles of music I listen to have changed dramatically. It's interesting to think about what I will want when the time comes to plan.

As the client I talked about before and I learn new music, it will be interesting what themes emerge. Will it be a theme of forgiveness, celebration, salvation, grace, or something else? We will have to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment