Friday, March 30, 2012

Just a Rose Will Do




A few months ago, I introduced the song "Just a Rose Will Do" to a client of mine. Since I've known her, she has been very spiritual and I spend a lot of my session listening to her talk about her faith and how it has helped her through all her struggles. I usually just listen and facilitate her discussion with songs that tie in with her conversation. With all her talk of the afterlife and faith, she never really planned out any of her memorial service. I thought that this song may be a good segue into that conversation. She took to this song very quickly and it soon became the song we start each session with.

In our session this week, she was pretty tearful. After this song and several other hymns that she enjoys, she would be wiping tears from her eyes. She's been on our services for quite some time and has just continued to decline, but very slowly. I wonder, however, if she knows something we don't. This session, after "Just a Rose Will Do", she began to talk about her funeral, specifically the music. She has group/congregational music planned out already, but asked that I sing it as special music.

I'm honored to do it. Obviously, the "event" has not been planned yet, but I think it's very important to plan these things out. In parting, I want to post the lyrics of this song, written by Porter Wagoner, as some food for thought. What do you want your funeral to look like? It's not morbid or depressing, it's a way for you to choose how your loved ones remember you.

When time shall come for my leaving  
When I bid you adieu  
Don't spend your money for flowers  
Just a rose will do. 

Chorus: 
I'll go to a beautiful garden  
At last when life's work is through.  
Don't spend your money for flowers  
Just a rose will do. 

I'll need no organization  
To make a bid to-do,  
I'll need no fine decorations,  
Just a rose will do.  

Just have an old-fashioned preacher 
To preach a sermon or two 
Don't spend your money for flowers 
Just a rose will do.

Copied from MetroLyrics.com

No comments:

Post a Comment